Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Good Taste




Fashion and me have a longstanding relationship, I have loved clothes and style since my mom started letting me put together my own outfits as a wee tot. 

When I was a little girl I loved combining colours, textures and accessories. 

My fashion motto is, you only live once, so you may as well look good... photo's are eternal. 

In the last decade or so, the term 'label whore' has developed in the fashion world. 

To me a label whore is someone who is lost in the world of fashion so goes directly to the labels all the time to serve as an easy guide of what works and what doesn't. However, I wouldn't call them 'label whore' as they depend on these labels to help boost their fashion confidence, maybe a more positive spin would be 'fashionista in training'?

Note to readers

Label whores do not equal style. 

Why I like a balance of great fashion designers (they got well liked for a reason...) I stand on the side of the fence where good taste doesn't mean expensive or marked with a label. 

Fashion to me is like a form of art, except instead of hanging this piece of art on the wall, you love it soooo much that you take the ultimate stance and wear it. 

I have never been a fan of labels like Louis Vuitton or Coach, as I do not understand why a beautiful purse needs to have acronyms scribbled all across it. 

To me it is just like buying a Picasso piece of art where he decided to scribble his name all over it to remind the art lover who painted it...strange....but that is just my opinion. 

It is not about  the letters on a shirt, purse, belt... it is about the structure, the combination of fabrics that make a fashion item amazing, not always the name behind it. 

That is why it is important to always remember that good taste doesn't mean expensive (yes I said it again). Good taste means having an eye for great pieces of clothing, shoes, accessories and combining them. 

Support local designers
Support commercial designers
Support thrift shops
Support the whole aspect of it
Support what works best for you - you are after all the one wearing it. 

Now I am not saying I have the best taste out there, but I do have fun with it and I know what works for me. 

Fashion is fun, just do not put yourself in that 'label whore' box. 


xo
M



No comments:

Post a Comment


BUDDHA

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserves your love and affection